Two fires in Stuy Town this week

By Sabina Mollot
As construction work was ongoing at an Avenue C building, a fire started at around 9:45 p.m. on Wednesday night. According to a resident of 315 Avenue C, the smoke could be smelled in apartments and three firetrucks responded to what was apparently a welding accident.

Initially, a rep for the FDNY said the only record of a fire that was responded to was a rubbish fire that started in a dumpster located near Avenue C. The Fire Dept. rep said he suspected that was the same incident the resident reported. However, another spokesperson for the FDNY, Elisheva Zakheim, later also said a fire was called in at 9:50 p.m. with trucks responding to 321 Avenue C three minutes and 21 seconds later. At that time, firefighters found smoke conditions resulting from the fire that was extinguished before they got there by workers who had been “sweating a pipe.” Firefighters then searched that building and the adjacent building, 315, to make sure there was no other fire and to ventilate and clear smoke. They left the scene after 38 minutes and no one was injured.

The fire broke had broken out while water was shut down at 315 as well as 319 and 321 Avenue C.
The water shutdown had been scheduled ahead of time due to the construction. However it continued hours past when the water was supposed to come back on, which was 4 p.m. The resident who spoke with T&V said water still wasn’t even back on by 10 p.m., leaving him and his neighbors unable to wash or flush the toilet.

“I understand situations happen,” he said, “but one, they should have communicated updates – they have our email addresses and can have public safety hang signs – and two, they should have made accommodations for the restroom.”

We’ll update this post when we hear back from CWCapital on the fire and water shutdown.

There was also a fire on Friday evening, that 20 trucks with almost 80 firefighters responded to at 287 Avenue C in Stuyvesant Town. The blaze, which was reported at 9:30 p.m., was accidental, fire marshals determined, caused by tea candles. According to the FDNY, the fire was brought under control 31 minutes after the call with no injuries.

This article was updated to include additional information from the FDNY.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.