Cabbie arrested after fatal hit-and-run in front of Stuyvesant Town


Stuyvesant Town (Photo by Sabina Mollot)

By Sabina Mollot

Police have arrested a taxi driver in connection with a hit-and-run that left a woman dead in front of Stuyvesant Town on Saturday.

John Bangura, a 68-year-old resident of Washington Heights, was arrested on Sunday morning. Police were able to track him down through his vehicle, which was seen in surveillance video.

According to police, the victim, identified as Bronx resident Kenya Flores, 44, had been lying in the road prior to being hit by the cab. Additionally, according to police, she was wearing all black when hit by the car at around 3:36 a.m.

When police responded to the scene, which was First Avenue between East 16th and 17th Streets, Flores was lying in the bus lane on the east side of First Avenue, with trauma to her body. An EMS team took the woman to Bellevue Hospital, but she couldn’t be saved.

A witness told cops that Flores’s body, after being hit, had been dragged down the street. The accident also caused the grill of the car to come off and an officer had to remove it from the victim’s foot, according to the criminal complaint.

Police said they were later able to match the piece of the grill to Bangura’s cab and they stated he admitted to being the one behind the wheel at the time of the accident. Bangura has since been charged with leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death.

Bail for Bangura was set at $5,000 and his next court appearance is on March 25. His Legal Aid attorney, Marnie Zein, could not immediately be reached for comment.

A spokesperson for Blackstone said the owner is cooperating with police and had provided some video footage.

When asked if, based on the footage, if it appeared the woman had fallen or fainted or if suicide was suspected, a police spokesperson would only say the medical examiner will determine the cause of death.

2 thoughts on “Cabbie arrested after fatal hit-and-run in front of Stuyvesant Town

  1. This is a travesty. Beth Israel mishandled another mentally-troubled patient and now that patient is dead, but also we freely hand out licenses to drive city-regulated vehicles to operators who shouldn’t be on the road at all. There is something very wrong with multiple systems here, and the continued acceptance of this disarray is the only reason why this person died in a violent collision.

    • I agree with you (except that you can’t collide with something/someone who is not moving – you crash into it/them), this is a horrible tragedy. The lady probably did lie down in the bus lane for the purpose of having a bus run her over. However, a bus driver would have seen her and stopped. The jackass taxi driver swerved into the bus lane (probably to avoid some other jackass who had stopped short or, more likely, was going to slow for his liking) and hit and dragged the lady. The taxi driver had no business going into the bus lane unless it was to avoid a collision. I hope that ST’s security cameras will be of some use in uncovering exactly what happened. Too bad that the people at Beth Israel didn’t have her taken to Bellevue’s psychiatric department before it became necessary to take her to Bellevue’s trauma department.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.