On April 9, Bobby Valentine, who’s managed the Mets and the Red Sox, will be attending the Peter Stuyvesant Little League’s annual parade and ceremony. Valentine has also played for several teams, including the Mets, in the 1970s. He later went on to manage teams, and has also worked as a baseball analyst for ESPN. He is currently the athletic director at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut.
The parade on April 9 will have a ceremony afterwards which also celebrates the league’s 60th year in youth sports.
Participating players and their families will line up at 8:15 a.m. at First Avenue and 20th Street in front of Hane restaurant before marching through Stuyvesant Town and heading to Con Ed Field at East 16th Street and Avenue C. The brief ceremony will be from 9-9:30 a.m.
Mark Chanko, who was at one time a resident of Stuyvesant Town, died in 2011, but unbeknownst to his family, his final moments were filmed for a reality show. He’s pictured (left) with son Ken, currently a Stuy Town resident, in 2006
By Sabina Mollot
The Court of Appeals has allowed a lawsuit filed by the family of a late former resident of Stuyvesant Town, who unbeknownst to him had been filmed for a reality show as he lie dying in a hospital room, to proceed.
The widow and grown children of Mark Chanko, the man who was filmed at the hospital following being hit by a truck, had appealed a decision by the Appellate Court to dismiss the suit. However, in a decision last Thursday, a judge ruled that while the suit can go on against the hospital, New York Presbyterian, the ABC network that was responsible for the show, mini-series “NY Med” featuring Dr. Mehmet Oz, is no longer a defendant. New York Presbyterian Hospital and Doctor Sebastian Schubl, who treated Chanko, are still named as defendants.
In the court decision, Judge Leslie Stein also ruled that the suit alleging a breach of patient/physician confidentiality could continue while another charge of deliberate infliction of distress was dropped.
The Senate Democrats vote on closure of the LLC Loophole, which failed to make it into the budget. State Senator Brad Hoylman called the budget process unchanged since the Silver and Skelos scandals. (Photo by State Senator Brad Hoylman)
By Sabina Mollot
After an all-nighter in the Capitol, Governor Cuomo signed off on a budget that included none of the ethics reforms he claimed he’d be willing to pass during his state of the state address in January.
Those reforms included closure of the LLC Loophole, which currently allows nearly limitless donations from limited liability corporations, limiting legislators’ outside income and stripping pensions from any legislator who’s found guilty of corruption.
Following the 17-hour session that led to the budget’s signing on Friday morning, a groggy State Senator Brad Hoylman told Town & Village that even after two major scandals last year, nothing’s changed in Albany when it’s time for negotiations.
“The budget process doesn’t lend itself to transparency,” said Hoylman. “It’s still the same three men in a room.”
He then blamed the Republican majority in his own house for not allowing the proposed reforms to reach the floor.