Fire destroys Stuy Town apartment

Fire at 287 Avenue C (Photo by Sugi Tabero)

By Sabina Mollot

A fire ripped through an apartment in Stuyvesant Town on Thursday afternoon, destroying it, although fortunately no one was hurt. Additionally, public safety officers were able to rescue the affected family’s Boston terrier.

A spokesperson for the FDNY said the fire at 287 Avenue C was caused by a candle in the fourth-floor apartment. After getting the call about the fire at 12:45 p.m., firefighters were at the scene in under four minutes and got the fire under control in about 35 minutes.

A resident in the building, Sugi Tabero, said that management later put fans in the hallway to deal with the lingering smoke smell and had workers start to clean up the apartment. A public safety officer was also stationed in the building so no one could enter while there was a risk of glass falling.

“We have a lot to be thankful for living in Stuyvesant Town even when there’s a tragedy,” Tabero said.

Meanwhile, the family has already been moved to another apartment, according to a spokesperson for StuyTown Property Services.

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Fire destroys Stuy Town apartment

  1. Pingback: EV Grieve Etc.: Robber hits 2nd Avenue TD Bank; Veselka featured in 'Ocean's 8' trailer ⋆ New York city blog

  2. No cure for stupid and no shortage of stupid here. Candles and a pet running around? A recipe for disaster, especially in those open-plan “Platinum” apartments. I think fire extinguishers should be mandatory as well as smoke alarms. Too bad common sense can’t be made mandatory.

  3. The Tenants Association has Building Captains in each and every building — these individuals can and should accept a role of Fire Warden and be trained in the use of Fire Extinguishers.

    If Fire Extinguishers had been located in the stairwell of this apartment, the Building Captain could have contained the fire and prevented all of this damage and loss.

    E. Whisnant
    East 14th Street.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s