By Sabina Mollot
A fire ripped through an apartment in Stuyvesant Town on Thursday afternoon, destroying it, although fortunately no one was hurt. Additionally, public safety officers were able to rescue the affected family’s Boston terrier.
A spokesperson for the FDNY said the fire at 287 Avenue C was caused by a candle in the fourth-floor apartment. After getting the call about the fire at 12:45 p.m., firefighters were at the scene in under four minutes and got the fire under control in about 35 minutes.
A resident in the building, Sugi Tabero, said that management later put fans in the hallway to deal with the lingering smoke smell and had workers start to clean up the apartment. A public safety officer was also stationed in the building so no one could enter while there was a risk of glass falling.
“We have a lot to be thankful for living in Stuyvesant Town even when there’s a tragedy,” Tabero said.
Meanwhile, the family has already been moved to another apartment, according to a spokesperson for StuyTown Property Services.