Parents and students at The Clinton School in Union Square were shocked and angry about a lack of communication from the school’s administration after boys in the high school were arrested for sexual abuse last month. Students organized and participated in a sit-in this past Tuesday in response, calling for transparency and action from the administration about this incident as well as additional allegations of racism, sexism and harassment that students said have not been addressed.
Town & Village reported last week that three male students were charged with sexual abuse in the school at 10 East 15th Street on February 11, although the NYPD later said that four students between the ages of 15 and 17 were arrested, confirming what multiple students told Town & Village this week. The victim said that she and the four boys were in a school bathroom, where they allegedly coerced her into taking lewd photos and wrote on her body without her consent.
After the story in Town & Village that was posted on February 24 circulated among parents and students at the school last week, the issue was discussed at a heavily-attended Parent Association (PA) meeting last Friday morning. Multiple parents told Town & Village that Principal Jon Levin claimed at the meeting that the story was inaccurate in some way but did not provide any corrections or clarifications, and Levin did not respond to a request for comment. The victim told Town & Village this Tuesday that the details in the story were accurate, although she said that she felt that she was coerced into taking the photos rather than bullied, as the original story stated.
Police arrested four teenagers for sexually abusing another student inside a Union Square school last week.
The three teenage boys were charged with sexual abuse inside the Clinton School at 10 East 15th Street on Tuesday, February 11 at 3:47 p.m. after police said that the boys abused a girl at the school.
According to the victim, four teenage boys, one of whom has not been arrested, coerced her into taking an explicit photo in exchange for a Supreme sweatshirt sometime the previous week. The victim said that she originally agreed to take a photo in exchange for the sweatshirt but the teens later pressured her into saying in a video that she had consented to taking a photo of her buttocks with their faces. The teenage girl said that one of the suspects then grabbed her by the arm and led her to the third floor bathroom, where he took a photo of her.
A Con Ed crew cleaning up the street on Friday (Photo courtesy of Con Ed)
By Sabina Mollot
The air is asbestos-free, the city said, after testing samples following the steam pipe explosion, on Friday evening. While some debris samples contained asbestos, it’s unlikely people exposed will become ill since “asbestos-related illnesses usually develop after many years of exposure,” according to an update provided by the mayor’s office and the Office of Emergency Management. The city also said irritation to the eyes, nose and throat from debris is possible, and recommends anyone with those symptoms contact doctor.
Meanwhile, the city is still keeping people out of the “hot zone” in Flatiron.
While the area continues to be cleaned up, the hot zone boundaries include:
Fifth Avenue from 19th Street to 22nd Street (midway down the block on 19th Street and most of 20th and 21st streets on the west side).
The entire block on East 20th and 21st Streets and midway down the block on East 19th Street.
Neighborhood residents whose building have been evacuated (49 buildings in total) are still displaced. Forty-four buildings had their facades visually expected. However, none were cleared for residents to return home as of Friday at 5 p.m. as testing for asbestos continues. At this time, the city doesn’t have a number as to how many buildings have been contaminated. Once a determination is made, the buildings’ facades will be washed. Con Ed has appointed outside vendors for this project.