State Senator Brad Hoylman is co-sponsoring a law that would require elevator inspectors to be licensed is expected to be signed by Governor Cuomo following the death last week of a man in Kips Bay.
Sam Waisbren, 30, died trying to escape from a plunging elevator at 344 Third Avenue, the apartment building where he lived.
City records show the property, owned and managed by ATA, had a previous violation for a door zone restrictor, a safety device that had been tampered with, disabled and rendered inoperative, according to the Department of Buildings.
The building’s owner was fined $1,280 and slapped with two further violations this past May for not taking proper safety measures for unrelated construction work at the building, known as Manhattan Promenade. The death came as legislation languishes in Albany after being passed by both the State Senate and the Assembly.
Police arrested a man who allegedly exposed himself to a woman in a Stuy Town elevator after he followed her into the building early on Saturday morning.
The victim told police that she was entering 610 East 20th Street at 2:16 a.m. when 27-year-old Anthony Ashley allegedly came into the building behind her. She said that when she got in the elevator, Ashley entered the elevator behind her. When they were inside, he allegedly unzipped his pants and exposed himself.
Police said that Ashley is not a resident of the building. He was charged with public lewdness and trespassing.
The death was being investigated at the site on Tuesday morning. (Photos by Sabina Mollot)
By Sabina Mollot
Police are investigating the death of a construction worker found at the bottom of an elevator shaft on Tuesday.
The 33-year-old victim, later identified as Brooklyn resident Jucong Wu, was working on the ninth floor of 111 East 24th Street, a Sam Chang-owned building in the Flatiron District.
Emergency services were called to the site at 8:53 a.m. and pronounced the man dead at the scene.
The investigation is ongoing, though a police source said it appears to be a job site accident.
According to a spokesperson for the Department of Buildings, Wu was employed by U-Tek Elevator Inc., a firm that was installing an elevator car in the 12-story building, which is being converted to a 130-room hotel by Chang’s McSam Hotel Group.
Wu, however, was not tied to a fall-protection safety line, said the DOB.
A person who picked up the phone at McSam Hotel Group declined to comment.
ST/PCV moms share tales of toddlers’ hands getting stuck in elevators doors
By Sabina Mollot
If your young child ever got his or her hand stuck behind the door of an elevator, you’re not alone.
Two weeks ago, a Stuyvesant Town toddler broke her finger after her hand got stuck into a gap in the moving elevator door in her building. Then, after it happened, the girl’s mother posted a warning to other parents on a local Facebook group, only to then hear from several other parents that the same thing had happened to their children over the years, in Stuyvesant Town as well as other places.
The girl’s mom also later spoke to Town & Village about the incident, which she was shocked to learn was a relatively common occurrence.
The mother, who asked that her name not be used, said on September 21, she and her daughter arrived on the T level in her building and when the elevator door opened, the girl put her hand on the inside of the door.
“I lunged, but not fast enough,” her mom said. When the door opened fully, it pulled the girl’s hand into the gap that hides the inner door, trapping her hand into a very narrow space. After a few minutes of pulling and screaming (on both the mother and daughter’s parts), they were able to get the girl’s hand free. A trip to NYU Langone confirmed that her ring finger had been broken.