By Sabina Mollot
Since October 31, a gas leak at 272 and 274 First Avenue has left residents without gas in their buildings. The laundry room has been out of use as well since then.
In a flyer that was posted by CompassRock on November 4, management explained that the shutdown was done by Con Ed so emergency repairs could be conducted on the main gas line.
The note to residents went on to say management was working with the utility to ensure that gas would be restored “as safely and as quickly as possible.”
However, the memo also said that gas isn’t expected to be turned on again until Con Ed approves each apartment line after repairs.
Sidney Alvarez, a spokesperson for Con Ed, said on the 31st, the utility had been called about a gas odor and upon arrival, inspectors found that there was a gas leak on the extension service traced to a gas meter room.